Team meetings are a simple but often overlooked part of sharing leadership. Many leaders that have team meetings fail to structure them in a way that empowers team members. Instead of being a positive and constructive experience, the team meeting becomes a negative and unconstructive time.
Follow these tips to lead effective meetings:
1. Meet regularly (at least once a month).
2. Pick a consistent meeting time that works for everyone.
3. Before each meeting, email or snail mail the agenda to team members.
4. Provide time for people to share personal updates and prayer requests.
5. Encourage feedback and discussion about programs, events, and ideas.
6. Involve members in planning, problem-solving, making suggestions, and delegating ministry.
7. Put the most important item in the middle, and know what you can cut out if the meeting runs long.
8. Keep meetings under two hours unless serving food!
9. Consider a separate planning meeting for calendar or specific event plans.
10. Send out a meeting review of action items to all members of the group.